Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5kg diced beef chuck or blade steak
- 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sticks celery, trimmed, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 x 425g cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook beef, in 4 batches, stirring, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, onions, leeks, garlic, celery and carrots to pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pan with tomatoes, wine and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Divide half the casserole between 4 plates. Serve with mashed potato or bread. Set aside remaining casserole for High Pie (see related recipe). Leftovers Allow reserved casserole to cool. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.